By Elaina Taylor
Hiya folks! It’s time to embrace summer again and all it entails: barbecues, beach trips, hiking excursions, stargazing, vacations, roller coaster outings, poolside potlucks, road trips, and so much more. Break out the reggae music, high-waisted shorts, sunscreen, and some surfside guitar strummin’. But stop! You’re not ready to go just yet. You need the perfect snack to go with your summer lovin’ and I know just what you need: the fan favorite guacamole recipe.
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup of salsa (your choice of the type)
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ~1 teaspoon of Chipotle Tabasco Hot sauce (or regular Tabasco)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of Nature Seasoning (if unable to procure, use salt and pepper)
- Mixing bowl
- Potato masher
- Garlic press
- Large chef’s/ cook’s knife (or any knife suitable for mincing)
It pairs well with a great many types of Tortilla chips, and adds its own tang very nicely to various sandwiches. This mixture serves roughly five people; for a larger batch double the amount of each ingredient.
*Side note: for those who would prefer a version of this guacamole closer in flavor to Chipotle’s, refrain from adding the salsa to your mixture.
- Peel the avocado and take out the seed from the center. Mash the avocado with the potato masher until there are no chunks left within the bowl.
- Add the salsa and lime juice to the mashed avocado and stir the mixture.
- Peel the outer layer of skin from the garlic clove until only the bulb is showing. (Hint: it helps to first lay the clove on a hard surface and apply pressure before attempting to peel the skin.) One by one, place the cloves into the garlic masher and squeeze the handles together over the bowl.
- Add roughly a teaspoon of Chipotle Tobasco Hot Sauce, or regular Tabasco sauce. *Depending on your tolerance for spicy food, add more or less to taste. This may also vary depending on the intensity of the salsa you chose to add.
- Chop the stalks of the cilantro off until you are left with just the leaves. Using the large chef’s knife, finely mince the leaves. Mix them into the mélange.
- Add in the Nature Seasoning, if you have none use salt and pepper. Start with 1 teaspoon and if more is needed, add in to taste. Stir until all ingredients are blended together. Refrigerate until it is time to serve. Enjoy!